View Single Post

Old 01-12-2017, 08:59 PM
US Veteran

Liked 13,178 Times in 4,571 Posts

Quote:
Get caught out in the street, parking lot, or even a mall, and you may see the reasoning for being able to hit a target at 25 yards, especially if the shooter is armed with a rifle. The 100 yard shooting is not as important, but being able to suppress a shooter's target selection process could save lives. Here, a police officer was potentially saved by a citizen's long range handgun marksmanship: Citizen shoots trailer park gunman, saves Texas officer

If you don't think it is an important skill, don't practice it. Since I don't routinely carry a rifle or shotgun, I'm going to practice at long range as well.
I totally agree with this concept. In the VERY unlikely event that one gets caught out in a parking lot and there is a shooter with a rifle the MOST important thing you can accomplish is suppressive fire. A rifleman who is ducking and weaving isn't shooting. The life you save may be your own.

I didn't say I can't hit at 25 yards or never practice it. If I had to anticipate that scenario and HAD to bring a handgun I'd carry my 6" M586 and I would hit my target. As that gun is not concealable I'm stuck, as Clint Smith says, with a compromise. But I CAN hit a target at distance; I'll do it a time or two at the range to be sure but, after that, I stick to the CQB practice as that is more likely.

But suppressive fire is a useful concept. One should not shirk a gunfight against a perp due to distance. We are sheepdogs, not sheep, and we train so we can fight - and survive.