View Single Post

Old 01-12-2017, 10:35 PM

Liked 698 Times in 391 Posts

I have several handguns I feel sufficiently proficient to carry for self defense, including both pistols and revolvers. Which I choose depends on concealment (e.g., no open carry in Illinois) and the potential threat.

For deep concealment, pocket carry may be the only option. That generally limits my choice to a small pistol, such as a Springfield XDs .45 ACP.

A cover garment, either casual untucked shirt or a light jacket or vest, opens up many more opportunities, including IWB or even a shoulder holster. Given a choice, I carry the largest weapon I feel comfortable carrying hours on end, sitting and standing. A full-sized 1911 or SIG P220 is not out of the question, nor even an N-framed revolver, 4" or less. Bigger is usually heavier, and longer means slower to present in a crisis. OWB holsters handle weight better than IWB, and weight means practically nothing in a shoulder holster.

Revolvers can pack more punch per round (e.g., .357 Mag) and are less likely to jam in tight situations (e.g., in a vehicle), and I shoot them well both DA and SA. In my dotage, I am increasingly fond of a short .357 revolver, 7 or 8 rounds. (I don't own a J-frame).

I carry concealed in the woods too, even when not required, partly to avoid scaring folks from the cities, partly for tactical advantage. If there are big things that claw and bite, I usually carry a .44 Magnum with hard-cast SWCs.

Sometimes there's no reason to change, other than for the sake of variety.