View Single Post

Old 01-13-2017, 03:10 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 1,628 Times in 494 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disabled1 View Post
Help me understand something here. This is a chrome moly steel CHF barrel, that is also chrome lined? Why not just leave it as is, or, Nitride line it? The reason I ask is, the AR-556 barrel is also a CHF chrome moly steel barrel, and Nitride lined. And, a S&W barrel is reamed then ARMORNITED, correct? Maybe I should call Ruger and see if my cousin can buy a barrel from Ruger....????? From my readings, a CHF barrel is a more preferred barrel over a cut and reamed barrel. The Ruger barrel might be less than $275.
What I linked is a cold hammer forged chrome lined barrel. It was in response to what the person was looking for in a mil spec barrel. It is on the higher end of price but what you asked for was toughness so that is what I linked.
Honestly I think your relative should just sell the AR they have and buy a Colt 6920 and be done with it. It sounds like that is what they really wanted to begin with.

I suspect if his AR is like most folk's AR's then it will get shot maybe 100 times a year if that and will spend most of its life in a safe - so the debate on what is the best barrel is pretty much null since the barrel that is on it now is most likely way more than adequate for what this person needs.
SWCA#2439