View Single Post

Old 01-14-2017, 12:34 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thumbs up Happy in MA

I bought my SD9VE new at Cabela's in Berlin just after Christmas, it's my first gun. I'm really impressed with the quality of the machining and workmanship, but the "self-defense" trigger had to go - the hinge was goofy, although I didn't mind the pull that much, as most of my experience up to now was with revolvers. So I ordered the parts and my friend and I installed the spring and tactical trigger kits, it went pretty smoothly, just played along with "sootch00" and his youtube video. Some of the pins were crankier than others to extract, and the lining up of the pin that goes through the trigger spring and slide lock was kinda fussy, but we got it done over a lunch hour.

I only shot 100 rounds so far with the new configuration (just did the mod yesterday), but it was butter-smooth, the stroke felt shorter, I loved the Glock-style trigger safety as opposed to the stock mid-trigger hinged safety, and it just ran flawlessly. I don't have a trigger scale and I'm not an experienced shooter, but it felt as good as any semi I've ever shot. Can't say I noticed a big difference in accuracy, mostly because the gun shoots better than I point these days. As for the commonly reported issues with these mods, we didn't have to do any filing on the backside of the trigger, no reset issues, I got no light primer hits from the altered striker spring, the trigger pin didn't walk out - zero problems. And honestly, it looks way better without that short-bus-looking stock trigger. All in all, I can't recommend the Apex springs and trigger combo any more highly.