View Single Post

Old 01-14-2017, 08:09 PM

Liked 367 Times in 167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastoff View Post
Muscle memory can indeed be a good or bad thing. I have to ask though, if you present to "pointed in" (pointed at the target and ready to shoot), was pressing the trigger a bad thing?

You can present to the ready or you can present to pointed in. If I'm presenting to pointed in, I'm probably needing to shoot and shooting at that point is not a bad thing. If it is, why was I pointed in? The decision to shoot has to be made before the pistol comes out.

There's more, but I don't want to make this too long.

This is not a reasonable scenario. Let's modify it to something more realistic. What if your wife is being raped and you have access to your gun, but you haven't practiced? Are you willing to put your wife's life at risk to take that shot?
I see your point. What I had done is 'taught' myself to draw and fire, almost every time, without thinking about firing. I now practice different things. Like I said, with a scenario in my head. Draw to low ready, present to target... When presenting to the target, yes, I take up slack on the trigger.

The reason I say not to fire each time you practice, is what if the situation, or primary target changes from the time you realize you need your gun, and you draw? Bad guy throws his gun down, turns and starts running away? Not a good time to fire from 'muscle memory'. Or two people, one armed, one not armed. Guy #1 throws gun down, guy #2 draws, and you need to change target priority. Interesting topic.
The Following User Likes This Post: