View Single Post

Old 01-15-2017, 12:08 AM

Liked 17,102 Times in 6,271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_G View Post
The reason I say not to fire each time you practice, is what if...
Brother, I believe we are in violent agreement here. No need to add a scenario, just asking "what if..." is enough.

When we present to pointed in, we need to be ready to press the trigger immediately. It has to be an aimed and intentional shot. Emphasis on intentional. When I do dry practice, every "shot" is an aimed, intentional shot. If your mindset is on the whole of the presentation, rather than just pressing the trigger, you aren't really developing muscle memory causing you to fire unintentionally.

Yes, when on target, the trigger finger should be on the trigger with the slack out. It's not a bad idea to do some practice just coming out to pointed in and not firing. It helps you learn where the right place is for your trigger finger.

However, I suspect that if you really need to present your gun in self-defense, you won't have time to see the bad guy drop his gun and run. The only chance for that would be if he started running away before you cleared leather.

Take a look at this video:

This is how I think most gun defense will go for normal people. As you can see, the bad guys didn't have time to run until after the first shot.