View Single Post

Old 01-15-2017, 02:15 AM
Banned

Liked 4,324 Times in 1,793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustyt1953 View Post
The OP left the forum 4 1/2 years ago so I wouldn't be in a hurry for a reply.
Dvan's been resurrecting threads lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvan34
Revolvers are considerably safer than Semi-Automatics. You can readily determine if they are loaded. Also if not a 'hammerless' they are not likely to fire when picked up if your trigger finger does not engage the trigger. If is is lying on the table and the hammer is back ? Definitely unsafe. A semi-auto unless it is a 1911 may or may not be safe. Some semi's have an indicator atop the slide to let you know they are loaded with a round in the chamber. A 1911 is relatively safe if the hammer is not 'cocked'.
I was going to highlight the parts that I disagreed with, but then I realized I disagreed with the entire thing.

(1) Revolvers are not any safer than semiautomatics. Or more simply, no gun is any "safer" than any other gun. Safety is a thing that happens in your head, not in your hands. Any firearm (or automobile, or power tool, etc) in the hands of a moron is a dangerous implement.

(2) Checking whether a firearm is loaded is no more difficult whether it's a pistol or a revolver. Determining its condition for non-firing purposes (i.e.--handing it from one person to another) is similarly simple and straightforward.

(3) A "hammerless" revolver is functionally no different than a shrouded or exposed-hammer design. The hammer is simply concealed entirely within the frame. No matter what the design, if you keep your boogerhook off the trigger, a revolver in good function isn't going to magically go off. Mos modern revolvers (I'm always hesitant to say "all") are designed to prevent a discharge if the hammer falls without movement of the trigger/sear.

(4) A 1911 is no more safe than any other type of pistol. See #1--safety is a thing that happens in your head, not on your gun. Any modern firearm, equipped properly for CCW or defensive use, and in good working order, is perfectly safe so long as you follow the appropriate manual of arms.

(5) Similarly, a press check may be performed on many types of semiautomatic pistols, not just 1911s.

(6) 1911s are quite safe in Condition 1 status (loaded chamber, safety engaged, hammer cocked). The half-cock notch and firing pin return spring both act to prevent a truly accidental discharge (i.e.--through jarring, dropping, or the like, the full-cock notch of the hammer fails and allows the hammer to fall without movement of the sear). This is regardless of whether the manual thumb safety is engaged, or is unintentionally disengaged.