Thread: K32 build....
View Single Post

Old 01-17-2017, 11:17 PM

Liked 170 Times in 89 Posts

OK!!!!

So I did rework my cylinder blocks..

Squared them, drilled for pins, and reamed, then when assembled, fly cut the bottom and re-bored the cylinder hole to size.

What I wound up with was a hold that indicated in nearly perfect just setting it on parallels and tightening the vice!!

I used Toolguys advice on chambering as I was worried mostly about maintaining alignment with the muzzle end of the cylinder having to open the holes up that far.

So pretty much following word for word, I drilled with 19/64 bit, then reamed to .312 all from the front of the cylinder...

Then flipped it over... This is when I found the the pilot would'nt run in the .312 hole for me?? So I reamed each one to .313 before I started chambering.

I went .1" at a time (this was the reason I added a digital scale to the quill) pulling the reamer, clearing chips, oiling, then another .1"... It looks clean because I was using compressed air to clear chips in the hole and on the cutter.

Somehow I managed to not get a finished pic of the chambers.... I'll post one up tomorrow!! (I'll have to clean it first since i was throwing lead through) Instead here's my digital scale.

I did put some rounds through, I have some things to "adjust" yet, and loads to develop. But from just some quick reloads and rushing test groups, I think it performed rather well!!

Top left, this group is with my welding helmet on (I didn't have good glasses handy at the time) and about 7yds. Then the top right group with proper glasses, same distance. And the last group at 20yds... All are 6rd groups, 5gr of Power Pistol, 113gr Cast Performance gas checked.

Tonight I loaded the same bullet over 11gr H110!! Pretty snappy!! And REALLY made my bullet trap ring!!

I'm waiting on some parts to fit and I'll begin posting more when I start the process of refinishing.

Since I just received all the parts for a 1911 build that will also need blued I'm going to put some tanks together and go through the whole process. Since it will cost me roughly what a good blue job on two firearms would anyway!!

Coincidentally, the gentleman who taught me machining basics is a metal finisher/restorer (decorative chrome) by trade (pedestal buffers and high polish). But this will be my first attempt at bluing!!!

Last edited by shovelwrench; 01-17-2017 at 11:22 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: