View Single Post

Old 01-18-2017, 01:18 PM

Liked 86 Times in 37 Posts
Default S & W Addiction

Hi, New to the forum. Finally have a reason(s) to join. It's actually my wife's fault. No, really! she started it!
When she wanted to carry, I had her shoot everything I had in all calibers and rented some more. I wanted her to pick out the gun she wanted and would carry. So she ended up liking a 3953 DAO better by far than anything else, including the modern plastic stuff. She likes revolvers too and took over my Ruger 2 3/4 in. speed six as well. Anyway, if you have a carry gun, you need a backup as well, right?! So that's where the first 6946 comes in.

I was a revolver guy only for decades as I lived in places like Minnesota and Alaska where it is really cold, like -50F cold. Revolvers always went bang. Autos did not, at least in the 1970's. I had an airplane back then up in Fairbanks area and you had to carry a gun and food with you when flying. If you survived the crash and didn't get eaten by a Grizz, it might take you 2 years to walk back out... so the bias toward revolvers.

About 9-10 yrs ago I relooked at the auto scene and ended up with M & P's, XD's and mostly Sig's, tried 1911's too. Apparently I am too dumb to know that you can't shoot any type of trigger system as well as the 1911, cause my targets all look the same no matter the caliber or gun. Teaching my wife to shoot with those 3rd gen DAOs was fun and my targets still looked the same...hmmmm. On occasion I would forget to decock my Sig's after shooting. Also, something you don't hear all that often is gun compatibility between household members. You don't have time to think about how to operate the gun during an incident, if you want to live that is. So, I reconsidered that and got my own 3953 DAO and love it. It is now my EDC.
The problem now is that I "need" more. I am retiring from Pathology and wanting to work in a gun store, so I needed something to carry there. Hence the next two 6946's with the 59 series mags and spacer. Now I found a 5943 at Cabela's in Indiana that is coming to Cabela's in Minnesota. Told the wife these are hard as hens teeth to find and could also wear at the gun store while working. She said ok. Of course I have bought her various guns as gifts just because...Next up is maybe a 4586...so now we have five with the 5943 on the way. Have gotten rid of almost everything else except a nice Sig P228 with factory action job and a .22LR top end.
The "proper" treatment for a gun addiction is more guns, not take away the addiction I say (medically speaking).
Anyway, good site with lots of info. Thanks

Last edited by Remmark54; 01-18-2017 at 10:10 PM.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: