View Single Post

Old 01-18-2017, 01:52 PM

Liked 70 Times in 42 Posts

[QUOTE=hdwhit;139421441]I led the group that developed the security team procedures adopted by a number of large churches in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area starting in the late-1990's.

Instead, we opted for a system that created three security perimeters; one outside the building using unarmed observers, a second around the children's area and another within the building but outside of the sanctuary. This third perimeter did allow for the guards to be armed (provided the church's leadership agreed - although few did).QUOTE]

Good reasoning, particularly with regard to the "three security perimeters".

It's a little off topic, but related in an odd way ..... At the funeral of an RCMP Auxiliary member at our church, the entire watch showed up.

The Honour Guard in scarlets who carried the casket out were not armed, not even wearing holsters. The others were, including the plains clothes types who were CCW.
I was one of the few who noticed this and after the service, I spoke to the Watch Commander re: the wearing of sidearms in a church sanctuary by police.

He took umbrage to my remarks and said he'd like to discuss it with me in an "interview" at the Detachment after the internment. This never happened, but I wrote a letter to the NCO/IC cc'd the RCMP Complaints Commissioner and never got the courtesy of a reply.

In my letter, I asked what the reaction would have been had the RCMP worn sidearms into a Synagogue, Sikh or Buddhist temple. I suggested that it might have been better to have put their guns into the trunk of one vehicle, posted a sentry with radio (which they all carry) or remained in the ante room during the service.

I realize that it's a different situation in the US, but your post indicates that some churches or denominations might object to uninvited armed police in their church sanctuary.