View Single Post

Old 01-23-2017, 04:21 PM

Liked 784 Times in 305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief38 View Post
IMHO NO OIL should EVER be used on a Leather Holster! You want a fine leather holster to break in properly and remain stiff for many years. Stiffness is needed for proper gun retention.

The ONLY thing I ever use on my holsters (and only once every few years ) is a little Kiwi Shoe Polish - that's it. This is not only my opinion, but the opinion of most Leather Holster Makers.

If it were me, I'd start over with a new quality made holster and NOT oil it - and ditch the oiled one.
The person I learned about using extra virgin oil oil as a coloring agent from was G. William Davis of Davis leather. Gordon was a close personal friend. He was John Bianchi's partner in the early days. I doubt that you made near as many holsters as they did over the years. Olive oil doesn't soften the leather at all...a fact you would know if you've ever seen a Davis holster. He was also one of the two people who started SASS. My off hand guess is that he knows what he's talking about. Lots of leather craftsman use that technique.