View Single Post

Old 01-24-2017, 06:39 AM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 4,671 Times in 1,606 Posts
Default Chief Special Target Research & Survivors List Redux

UPDATE / CLEANUP DATA: 02/09/2020. Fixed some typographical errors (including a serial number on a 36-1) and grammar.
UPDATE / CLEANUP: 10/10/19. Update, add 1959 CST SN: 150042 NOT MODEL MARKED. Thanks, Tim.
UPDATE: 4/22/19 Data reviised and updated. Keep sending data, please.
UPDATE: 8/19/18, Data revised and updated. Keep sending data. It is much appreciated. All data is kept confidential.
UPDATE: 7/17/17, Revisions entered today. Need all CST Serial Numbers up to and including the Model 50 marked series.
UPDATE: 3/10/17, Needing those CST2 149xxx-150xxx serial numbers and the CST3 Model 36 and 36-1 stamped Target models.
UPDATE: 2/6/17, after consulting with Joe Cebull, we will include ALL Model 36 stamped Chief Special Target models and all the 36-1, 3" barrel special productions. Basically, we're including all Chief Special Target models up to approximately 1977.

Years ago, Joe Cebull started and nurtured a "survivor's list" on the early Chief Special Target models, .38 Special caliber. I helped Joe as much as I could back then (as did other members), however, during the subsequent years the project came to a stand-still and then forgotten.

All this would not have been possible without the interest of Joe Cebull who ( many years back ) caught me buying CSTs then started to coach me and finally putting the bite on me for serial numbers. My deepest appreciation and tribute goes to Joe Cebull.

Now, all these years later, with the abundant number of both members of this website and increased number of S&W Collector's Association members, I would like feedback from those who would be willing to participate.

Your submission can be kept confidential by PM or EM to me, personally.

For this particular research I would like to begin only with the flat latch models. In short, only the Chief's Special Target models in the 55xxx to 57xxx, and, the 149xxx to 150xxx serial number ranges. Also all the Model 36 (no dash) and 36-1 (mostly 3" target models).

NOW, including all the Model 50 marked, 60-1 Ashland.

I will also include a list of those that had been posted for sale on a reputable website but you cannot include a current auction number or location of that auction ... if it is still pending. If it has been sold, then you could include the link to the SOLD auction page.

Remember, most of those auctioned at some time in the past, will eventually be deleted or unavailable after awhile, so, better to copy and paste the description and photographs so we will always have the photos years later instead of coming up with the "images no longer available" as time passes.

Also, include any / all the Chief Special Target Airweight revolvers no matter what the serial number.

I will reserve this post #1 for revisions and updates to this thread and post #2 for the actual list of serial numbers, finish, barrel length, round or square butt,a true evaluation of condition (% factory finish, matte, bright, refinished, etc). List if all part match (frame, barrel, cyoinder face) Type of box e.g. Red, starburst, pre-bangor punta and a picture of the box-end label if you have it. Also, if riginal or replacement box, with or without matching numbers and special markings on box, e.g. some have TARG in black grease marker on the label, others have a "T" in white lacquer type marker on the bottom, etc.)

Include any / all notable features, e.g. I have one with a gold or brass insert dove-tailed into on the front sight blade serrated to match the serrations on the steel ramp of the sight..

If you have a S&W Letter from Roy, no matter how old the letter is, please feel free to post it as well and / or email a PDF scan of that letter to me or just send the shipping date and to whom it was shipped.

I am also interested in the Chief's Special Target Airweights of which are also reported to have been produced in limited quantities but less often encountered.

Those who are interested and would like to post pictures and a few words:

>>> PLEASE do not use a "quote" to any of the threads so we don't get a disarrayed assortment of new posts that could end up being anywhere in the pages, like the Victory thread, which has so much great info but has so many inserts you never know where a new post actually is until you search for it. It makes it very difficult to follow the timeline of the post in date order.

Those who would like to remain anonymous please "e-Mail" me via my email address listed in my profile on this forum. (do not send an internal message.

In the subject bar, please type only: "CST research". All data supplied to be strictly confidential. No names of owners will be posted on the list, even if you include a subsequent post with forum name in another post, the main list will not show anyone's name.

Any questions, please email me.

This should be a fantastic asset for all collectors, past, present and future. On those I list I am considering the source of where and when acquired.

Thank you. R.S. "Sal" Raimondi, Sr.

Last edited by model3sw; 02-09-2020 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Update just now
The Following 3 Users Like Post: