View Single Post

Old 01-27-2017, 05:13 AM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 3,271 Times in 1,282 Posts

The "Skeeter load" of 7.5 grains Unique over the Lyman 429421 kicks more than I like through my Bulldog. I have shot an awful lot of it through my post-WWII S&W and Colt revolvers. It seems not to bother them.

I load a "factory load duplication" for my Bulldog, Triple Lock and Second Model, 4.1 grains Bullseye or 5.5 grains Unique under the same cast bullet. I think the Bullseye load is more accurate. I intend to try out Winchester's W-231 (5.4 grains) as I have a lot of that. The traditional 246 grain RNL factory loads from both Winchester and Remington only chrono around 700 fps. I believe a large mouse could fart a **** that hard.

While I appreciate the concept of factories loading conservatively for old guns, the .44 Special doesn't seem to need that practice. The first .44 Special revolvers were the S&W N-frame Triple Lock and Colt New Service, very strong guns. I don't believe anybody chambered a revolver smaller or weaker that those until the early 1970's and the Charter Arms Bulldog. There never were any fragile, old break-tops to be taken into consideration.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: