View Single Post

Old 01-28-2017, 04:21 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 5,261 Times in 1,885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX-Dennis View Post
No experience with it, but it does look more secure than the Gunvault lock box with cable that I use. I doubt the cable on mine could be cut easily with sidecutters, but a small bolt cutter would make short work of it. When I have to leave my weapon in the car I shove the box under the seat with the cable wrapped around the seat frame. If it's not easily visible it is less likely to be a temptation for thieves or vandals.
I happened to have a cable left over from a smaller lockbox that I no longer have, so I tried cutting the cable with pliers and then a pair of sidecutters. The pliers were no go, and the side cutters put a dent in the cable, but didn't completely cut it. Now, someone younger and stronger may be able to use the side cutters to completely cut it, but it didn't cut it with my applied force. I didn't try bolt cutters, but I feel sure they would do it. I don't know how many smash and grab thieves carry bolt cutters, but they might, especially since there are small handle models that are easily carried. Since that is a chance, I'd rather not risk it...even though the risk may be low in the locations we visit where I have to lock up my gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSTFI View Post
Do they make one with a combination lock? I like the overall design of the product, but I hate having to remember to keep the key with me. The price is really good too. I saw them for $25 on Wal-Mart's website.
They don't make a combo lock model that has the shackle. It has a barrel key, which doesn't thrill me, since I wonder if ANY barrel key will unlock the box. I'd prefer a unique key, but they don't offer that.

I did check Walmart, and I didn't see the shackle box model on their site at the price you mentioned. There are other models with a cable at a lower price, but I didn't see the shackle model. That's a really good price if it is for the shackle model!
The Following User Likes This Post: