Thread: Old patches
View Single Post

Old 01-31-2017, 09:54 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 8,952 Times in 3,558 Posts

Nice patches. I too collect S&W patches and unfortunately like many things S&W there are a lot of phonies and copies out there. Many of the very old patches that are rare and valuable have been duplicated but there are ways to tell some of the modern fakes. Modern replicas will many times have adhesive backs or exposed stitching, the originals did not.

If you are thinking of making a display, you might also consider a "butterfly box". It is basically black covered cardboard with a glass top and a white, red or blue background piece. They come in various depths depending on what you are storing. I use the one inch version and have about 10 of them full of patches.

Be careful storing them if you do have more than one as the glass tops are merely glued into the lid and cannot take much pressure or weight directly on the glass or they will separate or crack. Several times the bride has piled smaller stuff on top of the glass and broken it.

Come spring I plan to build a shelf type rack so that I can store one case on each shelf so nothing sits directly on the glass.
LM #497

Last edited by JSR III; 01-31-2017 at 09:55 AM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: