View Single Post

Old 02-01-2017, 12:17 AM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 16,154 Times in 7,408 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper1357 View Post
Your Grohmann reminds me of my mid 60's Russell Belt Knife Canada. I know they were together back then, but don't think they called mine a Grohmann at that point? Anyway, great knives!

"

You have a No. 3 Boat Knife. Grohmann has always made the knives, but most have been sold under the name of the designer, D.H. Russell, no kin of the Russell boot people.

I have a Boat Knife with black Micarta handle in a bookcase near my desk. The factory gave the blade a bright polish, on special order. They also furnished both the normal pouch sheath and the Canadian Forces military sheath, which has a flap.

RCAF planes have sometimes carried the larger No. 4 Survival knife. You can also see this knife among the safari gear in Robert C. Ruark's safari article in, Playboy from April, 1965, if I recall the right date. Your library may have it. I don't know if Ruark actually carried this knife or if a staff member assembled the gear shown at Abercrombie & Fitch, etc.

Ruark did wear and recommend the Russell's Birdshooter boots.

The S on your blade indicates Stainless. I think the Boat Knife always had stainless, which was an option with other Russell knives.

Last edited by Texas Star; 02-01-2017 at 12:22 AM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: