View Single Post

Old 02-01-2017, 03:10 AM

Liked 100 Times in 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Star View Post
You have a No. 3 Boat Knife. Grohmann has always made the knives, but most have been sold under the name of the designer, D.H. Russell, no kin of the Russell boot people.

I have a Boat Knife with black Micarta handle in a bookcase near my desk. The factory gave the blade a bright polish, on special order. They also furnished both the normal pouch sheath and the Canadian Forces military sheath, which has a flap.

RCAF planes have sometimes carried the larger No. 4 Survival knife. You can also see this knife among the safari gear in Robert C. Ruark's safari article in, Playboy from April, 1965, if I recall the right date. Your library may have it. I don't know if Ruark actually carried this knife or if a staff member assembled the gear shown at Abercrombie & Fitch, etc.

Ruark did wear and recommend the Russell's Birdshooter boots.

The S on your blade indicates Stainless. I think the Boat Knife always had stainless, which was an option with other Russell knives.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. All I had known about it was from my late Father-in law, the original owner. He was the deputy leader of a North Pole expedition in 1967/68. Each member of the team was given/issued (late 1966) two each of this knife, one to use on the expedition(s) and one to keep for personal use. As you may guess, I received the latter from him.

My FIL only called it a "Canadian Belt Knife", and I could also read D.H. Russell, but not Grohmann or #3 anywhere on it. Doing a little research now, I've found exactly what you've shared, with the exception of the RCAF info on the #4. Very interesting history I'm not sure my FIL knew, or if he did, he never said anything. I know he used the heck out of the expedition one both on the exp, and at home long after. I never could find his beat up one, but am very grateful he gave me this one almost 40 years ago.

BTW, that is the original leather lanyard, and I have the original leather pouch sheath. I've had to clean the brass grommet/rivets a couple times over the years though.

Thanks again for the information!

"

Last edited by Viper1357; 02-01-2017 at 03:14 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: