View Single Post

Old 02-04-2017, 04:48 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 5,261 Times in 1,885 Posts
Default Bought it, returned it

I bought the Hornady Shacklebox at Academy Sports, but I've now returned it.

The shackle was a good idea, but poorly designed in my opinion. First of all, the two locking "tabs" (or whatever they are called) are annoyingly difficult to operate. They take a lot of "fiddling" to get them to release and then lock in again. I could get one to lock in, but then the other one wouldn't.

The main problem I had with it, though, was that the shackle wasn't big enough to fit around my seat post. I did have a short chain that I used around the seat post and then padlocked the chain to the shackle...which did work.

The other problem was that the box is bigger than my previous (and still current) handgun safe, and wouldn't allow me to lower the seat until it locked in. I have an Expedition, with captain's chairs for the second row, and they raise up and go forward to allow access to the rear seat. I put my safe under one of the captain's chairs, since there is no room under the driver's or front passenger's sear, because of the seat motors. The Hornady box is taller and wider, and wouldn't allow the seat to come all the way down and lock in.

Another issue that was to me minor but to my wife a serious problem is that the shackle rattles inside the safe. My wife is very sensitive to noises like this, while I just turn up the radio (when I am alone.) I do admit that it's annoying, and perhaps a design flaw...the shackle is too loose where it slides in and out, and loose metal against metal produces a rattle.

So, I am back to the drawing board...I'm going to find a way to replace the cable in my current safe with a chain. Or, I may see what a local shop would charge to make a safe. This shop makes trailers, and they make diamond plate boxes for the trailers...if they would make a much smaller one to my specifications, that would be ideal.
The Following User Likes This Post: