View Single Post

Old 02-05-2017, 12:39 PM

Liked 12,670 Times in 3,374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastoff View Post
So, a gun is only safe if it can be decocked easily? Come on man, you're better than that.

Besides, a 1911 can be decocked. There's just no reason to do it.
I agree. If I'm de-cocking a 1911 it's because I am in the process of administratively unloading it. To do that, I'm going to just drop the magazine, de-activate the manual safety, and then rack the slide to eject the chambered round. At that point, I'm either going to go ahead and remove the slide to clean it, or I'll manually de-cock the hammer for storage. But even if I were to de-cock on a loaded round for some reason, it's not hard to do it safely.

A de-cocker equipped DA pistol is pretty much a one trick pony. The sole advantage it gives is more or less idiot proof de-cocking. But de-cocking an SA or SA/DA pistol safely is not hard and it's not a hard skill to master.

I prefer the CZ 75B and CZ 75 Compact to the de-cocker equipped models as the manual safety, non-decocker equipped models offer you the capability of carrying in Condition 1 SA mode, or in DA mode - and they offer you the ability to train another shooter in either method.