View Single Post

Old 02-06-2017, 02:46 PM
US Veteran

Liked 606 Times in 220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpac3 View Post
Just a quick note - since you said you were fairly new to reloading but have done some 9mm, when moving up to larger, straight wall cases such as .38, .357, .44 special, .44 mag and using relatively fast buring powders such as bullseye, 231, red dot take special care when charging the cases.

I was trained that you handle only one round at a time. Once the cases have been primed, I will charge a case with powder, then without letting go of the case in my hand, place a bullet on the case and place it in the seating die. Have never had a double charge incident following this procedure. With shorter cases like 9mm, even with 4 grains of bullseye the case is pretty full and a double charge would over flow the case. Not so with the .38.
That second paragraph is excellent advice.

I used to take a case and hand prime it,then flare it and put it back in the loading block.
Then, take the cases in the loading block, one at a time, put the charge in, and immediately set a projectile on top.

Then it can go back in the loading block, or onto the seating die - however you are set up.

With the small charges in a large case, be extremely vigilant to not over-charge the case.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: