View Single Post

Old 02-06-2017, 06:09 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 1,353 Times in 562 Posts
Default Need hints on best on-line sources for ammo.

My favorite is Brownell's - no sales taxes. I always wait until they have free shipping, which is great since ammo is heavy. I also wait until my brand is on sale. No sense paying too much for this stuff. Brownell's went nuts last September. For four to six weeks they ran MagTech on sale, no shipping, no taxes. I'm sure that the UPS drivers have already turned me in to the BATF!

Mass Ammo is also pretty good. No sales taxes and $12.99 flat rate shipping. One of our members has posted info on their sales coupon code in this section of the forum.

Cabela's work well for almost all of the same reason's as Brownell's, but they have stores in Georgia so sales taxes are added.

Last, but not least, is Bud's Their pricing varies from day to day. Just keep checking on their website. No sales taxes, but their shipping costs can be high, especially if you order multiple calibers and the shipment is split. There's a surcharge in that situation. Bud's does not stock their ammo. They have suppliers in different parts of the United States that fill and ship their ammo orders. For some reason I want to think that shipping costs are 10% of the shipped price.

I have bought ammo from Gun Broker. Low prices can be somewhat more difficult to find, depending on the seller.

Two information updates for Brownell's:

1. I am a target shooter/marksman. My preferred ammo is either PMC or MagTech. In the above example, Brownell's had MagTech 230 grain FMJ .45 ACP for $16.99/box (50 rounds) (regularly $21.99/box) or $ .34/round. That's about a 23% discount. I have not paid that low price in the past seven years.

2. Brownell's offers discounts to military retirees and LEOs. The percentage varies and I cannot state that it applies to ammo, but it does to other items. Contact Brownell's and they can provide you with the specific requirements for this discount.

Last edited by Marine Corps Air; 02-06-2017 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Brownell's information update
The Following User Likes This Post: