View Single Post

Old 02-08-2017, 08:33 AM

Liked 4,301 Times in 2,112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief38 View Post
I don't like to bend Main Springs. I rather take a little off the strain screw. The strain screws are inexpensive and very easy to work on. After working on then for a while you will get the feel of just how much to take off. If you go to far, throw it out and start over with a new one - they are cheap! Get a few to have on hand. If you ever want to return to Factory Spec's simply install a new screw.

Once you bend a main spring you really can't go back to Factory Spec's, and you are really just blindly guessing.

Just my .02 cents..........

Chief38
I have to agree with this advice. However with a background as a Machinist/Engineer I like to make up shims to fit under the head of the strain screw so I can "tune" the action to the exact DA trigger weight I have found to function reliably with every primer brand made as long as it is fully seated. BTW, that is 9.0 lbs. and it's reliable with CCI Magnum and even Remington Magnum primers. Typically with a brand new S&W shims between 0.020 and 0.030 inch are all that is required to reduce the factory DA pull in the 12.5 lbs. range to 9.0 lbs. I'll also note that I've found the "ideal" rebound spring is the 14 lbs. weight, it gives a good rapid rest and produces a single action trigger just over 3 lbs. in a well broken in revolver.