View Single Post

Old 02-08-2017, 05:04 PM

Liked 711 Times in 260 Posts
Default Pistol cases...to trim or not to trim?

Since I last popped up on the Reloading forum a few months ago with a question about roll crimps and taper crimps I've been slowly and systematically ordering everything I need for my loading bench. I won't put it together until after I move out of New York City, but I wanted to have everything I'd need bought and paid for (so I could run barefoot through the boxes in my apartment) so that all I have to do is build myself a sturdy workbench once I get settled. I saved a long time for this and I think I treated myself pretty well with my purchases, mostly with green stuff that I expect will outlast me and end up going to my son. Anyway...

I'm primarily setting up for 9mm, .38/.357, and .44 in moderate loads. The .38/.357 and .44 will be roll crimp revolver rounds, and the 9mm a taper. With an emphasis on safety, the Lyman book suggests always checking and trimming case length, but also suggests you can expect not to have to trim straight wall brass cases in those sizes for most of the usable life of the case.

I'd like to hear the experience from those far more experienced than I... how often, if ever, do you find yourself trimming your pistol brass in 9mm, .38/.57, and .44 sizes? If that is the scope of my work, do I really need to invest in a case trimmer? If all it means is I might have to toss a few cases after 4 reloads instead of 6, is it really worth it in everyday practice?