View Single Post

Old 02-09-2017, 05:18 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 5,261 Times in 1,885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-O-Dave View Post
Ken:

I tried different types of lock boxes as well, and was never satisfied they were strong or secure enough to trust leaving a handgun in an unoccupied car. You're lucky you have a large SUV (Expedition) - I drive a Ford C-Max which doesn't offer a lot of extra room. I finally took an Army surplus .30 caliber ammo can and had a high security hasp welded to it. I then got some very heavy chain and a high security lock and made my own gun safe for my car. Unfortunately, it's too big to fit under the seats, so I just run the chain around the seat mounts and leave it on the rear floor and cover it with an old jacket. I wanted something that was robust and affordable, and that would deter all but the most determined (and well equipped thief), and I think I succeeded. Let me know if you would like me to add photos of my redneck gun safe.

Regards,

Dave
Sure, I'd like to see it. I'm considering having a hasp welded to my existing safe, and using a heavy duty lock, so it can't be pried open, and so I can use a chain instead of the cable.

Thanks!