View Single Post

Old 02-10-2017, 02:38 AM

Liked 9,328 Times in 3,495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spistols View Post
Well, after installing my old (you meant "new" one? ) one, I had a very hard time sliding back the slide and locking in place. It is as if the slide lock was about 1-2mm short of engaging the slide lock notch.

Is my replacement spring too long and it is bottoming out?
Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying (?), it sounds/looks to me that the slide IS bottoming out on the new spring, but not the old, right?

You don't want that.

I know Bill knows way more than I do (so one of us is misreading it) but this is something we've discussed before here (in one of his threads)
"Springs binding in my Shorty 45"
& I've had personal problems with it on several pistols, using different brand recoil springs. It has become the first thing I check when installing a new recoil spring in any of my 3rd Gens.

When you rack the slide fully rearward you should hear/feel the slide hit the frame stop, a distinct metal-metal sound/feel.

If the recoil spring is too long the sound will be a duller sound without the distinct metal contact either, as it's bottoming out on the spring's length, not the frame stop.

If in doubt, you can assemble the pistol without the recoil spring & guide rod and mark a reference point on the slide where it's fully rearward. Then install the new spring & see if the slide goes to that same point.

If it stops before, the spring is too long. Either get a different spring or cut 1/2 a turn off the spring, at a time, until it bottoms out on the frame. I wouldn't take more than 1-1/2 turns off & still use it unless it was heavier than needed originally.

Last edited by BLUEDOT37; 02-10-2017 at 02:52 AM. Reason: .
The Following 2 Users Like Post: