View Single Post

Old 02-10-2017, 04:31 PM

Liked 18,473 Times in 7,310 Posts

Almost all of my semi-auto CC guns have a safety, the only exception is a little TCP that I got for deep concealment.

I don't use the safety on the ones that are DAO. Those that are SA don't get carried much, but when they do, they are "cocked and locked". I want them to be as ready for the quickest possible use, but am not comfortable with having the shorter, lighter trigger pull of a SA in a holster without the safety on. If I carry a SA pistol with one in the chamber and the hammer down, then I don't use the safety - because I feel it would be redundant. The longer, heavier trigger pull of a DAO provides a large enough measure of ND prevention to not need to use the safety IMO.

There have been too many instances of people having an ND due to getting something in the trigger guard during re-holstering, etc. It even happens to cops and military and others who are far more experienced gun handlers than me. I recognize that I am not perfect, and even training and muscle memory only goes so far when there are multiple distractions or in the aftermath of an adrenaline dump. For me a short, light SA trigger seems like it could too easily lead to an ND. At least IMO. Better safe than sorry.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: