View Single Post

Old 02-10-2017, 06:06 PM

Liked 17,175 Times in 5,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M29since14 View Post
Well, a junky barrel isn't going to provide match results with just a tight bushing. I don't know if you can use it as a guide with the 39 but it seems a lot of 1911 builders think bushing fit only accounts for 10-20% of an "accuracy job," and that presumes that the barrel is of good quality to start with.

I too would like to have a good shooting 39, but that project has eluded me. I haven't done much but tinker with springs and handloads, but I think the chances for success with the factory barrel may not be great, unless you get a particularly good one - but who knows? Does Bar-sto, or anyone else, make aftermarket barrels for the 39?
I know for a fact that Bar-sto does not because I asked them about 5 or 6 weeks ago. I'm not sure about anyone else though. I'm not ready to write the barrel off as being junk however. One of the keys to getting an accurate semi auto is to get the barrel to return to battery in the exact same spot, shot after shot. If my geometry serves me right, the difference of just .001 will result in a shift of .25" at twenty five yards. Going with an oversized barrel lets you fit the barrel to the stock bushing for a tight fit, but that still leaves potential movement in the bushing itself, which is why I wanted to try an oversize bushing, if there is such an animal.

Of course I could forgo all of this if S&W would reintroduce the 952.