View Single Post

Old 02-12-2017, 12:10 PM

Liked 12,802 Times in 4,228 Posts

SpartanZeroOne,

Given your parameters, I think the Delica 4 FFG would be a good choice. I got mine from eBay in the $50-60 range. I think the VG-10 blade holds an edge very well. I use mine for things like slicing food, opening packages, etc., almost every day. I usually touch up the edge every couple of months, but I could probably go longer and still have a good, clean-cutting edge. It also sharpens pretty easily with a Spyderco Sharpmaker (I added ultra fine stones and use a stropping block, too). It's thin and light. The 4-position clip gives you a good variety of carrying options, or just remove the clip and carry it in your pocket. I find it easy to open and close with one hand. I like the security of the lock, too. And if you get one in a color other than black it won't scream "tactical." And the blade is just under 3".

I've seen the Kahr 2.5" version going for around $85, also on eBay. If you have to deal with a 3" length limit it does give you a bigger margin for how blade length is measured. Plus it's the maximum length if you go places like the post office. IIRC, the Kahr version came about because one of Michael Janich's self defense students worked in a federal building and they had a 2.5" blade length limit.

But again, I'm very much biased towards the Spyderco Delica as it's just about perfect for my needs. Keep an open mind and try to handle as many knives that meet your parameters as you can.

I still think it's hard to go wrong with a Delica, though.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: