View Single Post

Old 02-12-2017, 03:55 PM
US Veteran

Liked 17,099 Times in 5,129 Posts

Given your parameters and price range I would buy something like this.

I carry this exact knife daily. It serves me well. And if I somehow break it, yes I'll be mad but at least it wasn't one of my $150-$250 knives.

For an EDC knife primarily used as a utility knife you don't need to spend much. And later on you may find your requirements for an EDC have changed.

I would also take a good look at Kershaw. They have a very broad line to choose from. The 8Cr13MoV steel is made in China. I'ts not the best steel but certainly good enough for an EDC utility knife. It holds an edge well and is easy to keep sharp. This is how Kershaw and others that use this steel are able to keep their prices down.

Other premium steels such as 154CM and CPM S30V are much harder and resist corrosion better. But again, you don't necessarily need those. Work up to those later.

I would also stay away from tanto blade knives. A serrated blade also helps greatly for box cutting and other chores.

Also consider how the knife opens and closes. Assisted knives are nice one hand opening IF legal in your area. For a utility knife, I like knives that I can open and close easily with one hand such as the Benchmade Griptilian.

And consider which pocket you intend to carry the knife. Is the pocket clip reversible?

Choosing a knife is like anything else. And if you have a limited budget, choose wisely.