Thread: Switchblades
View Single Post

Old 02-14-2017, 02:57 PM

Liked 1,159 Times in 387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leatherhead23 View Post
My opinion is they're easier and safer to close and put back in the pocket one handed...
Per-maybe-haps if you have an auto-retracting OTF knife. For the other 99.9% of autos, it's a two-handed operation, unlike basic lock back folders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamloco76 View Post
Pennsylvania's gun laws are very clear, the knife laws are fifty shades of vague, with no statewide preemption statute. Switchblades, gravity knives and double edged blade knives are illegal to carry. There is no official blade length statute. Assisted opening knives like the Kershaw Speed Safe series are sold just about everywhere and seem to be legal under the state definitions. Ballisong knives are legal, as long as the blade is not double edged. That said, everybody thinks they are illegal here. Local jurisdictions can make up just about any knife rules they see fit.

I carry a 3 inch blade assisted opening knife all the time. In 90% of the state it is no big deal, however it seems all knives are illegal to carry in Philadelphia.
Yikes, that sounds like a nightmare to deal with. We have some odd laws in CA, for instance (the last time I checked) it's legal to own a full auto or a push knife, but it's illegal to carry them. Butterfly knives are illegal, but with a few local exceptions there's no limit to the size of a pocket knife, hence the 6" Hold Out.

My biggest beef in CA wasn't with the law per se, but with some police agencies that arrested anyone who had a knife that could be opened with a flick of the wrist, for carrying a switchblade. The really sad part is that some of the knives involved actually couldn't be opened that way; apparently the cops thought their fantasy over-rode reality.

We finally got a ruling that stated the law actually meant what it said, and not what a cop wanted it to mean.