View Single Post

Old 02-14-2017, 11:36 PM

Liked 29,250 Times in 13,830 Posts
Default I am making bullets.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
I wish somebody would shoot something with anything....
A water filled jug or ballistic gel block or box of soaked newsprint !
Shoot something with the new and improved load so we can see what is going to happen.....the suspense is getting me !
I'm making the bullets right now. I just stopped to double check my reloading data. I decided to use magnum primers and drop the loads back .2 grains. While I'm doing this, I'm thinking when this week I can get out to the range. I have a Chrono but I don't have ballistics gel (yet) and I'll have to find something semi solid to shoot. However, I have not yet been able to modify the bullets to the flat nose hollow point that I'm thinking of, because the bullets are so dam hard!!!

I'll just have to do the best I can. I concede on one point. I doubt that I'll be able to do a round any heavier than the 165 grain. The case capacity does seem to be the limiting factor. I would still like to theoretically figure out IF a heavier bullet would could fit the action of a 9mm and still attain the required velocity.

You guys have got me on the .40 being probably better at what I'm proposing performance wise. I like 9mms for many reasons and I'm going to test the water to milk what can out of a 9mm.

Disclaimer: At NO time during this discussion did I suggest that any bullet design could replace placement as the most important factor in an SD situation. Getting better placement is up to the individual learning and practicing. I'm working on a hardware problem.

I was working on triple taps (about 5 sets) the other day at five yards with my new Sig bringing the gun up from the bench height. Starting shooting while trying to find the front sight is a real trip. Though my patterns were loose, all shots went in the 'dead zone', so I hope I can improve on placement and distance with practice.

Last edited by rwsmith; 02-14-2017 at 11:37 PM.