View Single Post

Old 02-15-2017, 02:21 AM

Liked 29,236 Times in 13,822 Posts
Default Help me out with a soft target....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco45 View Post
What about recoil, one of the advantages to 9 is lighter recoil. Based partly on bullet weight. Drive the weight and velocity and pressure up, recoil impulse will dramatically change. Just shoot a 40 S&W and have heavier bullet and velocity without god awful pressure peaks.
The velocity is lower than typical 9mm rounds. I don't expect the recoil to be that much different. You guys do have a point with using a .40, it's just that I want to do it with a 9mm because they are accepted as a standard round everywhere, even by me.

Now I need help. This is progressing much faster than I thought it would. Since I don't have means of making gelatin (at all, must less quickly) I need a target I can take to the range that will at least retain the rounds for inspection.

I was thinking plastic buckets full of building sand and maybe some water jugs set in a line. Does anybody have better ideas?

Ok, Here are the rounds I've made for velocity testing. They progress from 3.5 grain of Power Pistol to 4.3 grains. OAL is 1.15". (Sounds like a good start) I'm going to have to plunk test these but they look fine.

I managed to start to modify some of the bullets by putting them in a bench vise (!). They have an app. 1/4" meplat. I will center punch, drill a HP and score the plating. (NICE plating on those Xtreme bullets). The dia. of the bullet shank is still .355". An added plus of having a meplat is that now the bullets are .685" long instead of .734". As I get into this I will have a little more headroom on the OAL. One problem is that I don't want to lose much weight and end up with a 158 gr HP. So I'll have to be skimpy on how much I drill out, which will also affect terminal ballistic performance. I wonder if I can find some 165 gr. HP bullets that are already formed???? Anyway, here they are:

PS: The noses of the finished rounds are flat because I used a flat seating punch to try to start getting a little meplat. Like I said, these goobers are hard as a brickbat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170215_000140[1].jpg (111.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 20170215_000154[1].jpg (80.3 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by rwsmith; 02-15-2017 at 02:30 AM.