View Single Post

Old 02-15-2017, 12:52 PM

Liked 1,364 Times in 560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLT223 View Post
Over the years I've gotten some good deals on guns because of very simple problems. I keep a healthy stock of spare parts to ensure I can make a good opportunity come together. For me it's part of the hobby, and I enjoy it. I can understand others would rather not be bothered with it. I also replace my own brakes, rebuild my own motors, build my own computers. I'm not a gunsmith, mechanic, or an IT technician. To me DYI'ing is more convenient than having to take my stuff somewhere to be fixed, and like I said I find it fun. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure no one cares about my stuff more than I do.

In the grand scheme of things, I'm of the opinion unwinding a few side plate screws and tapping on the frame handle a few times is not asking much of a conscientious adult with fair to good dexterity. I wasn't born with this knowledge, it's a capability I developed. Believe me when I say I'm not a rocket scientist. If I can do it, I imagine most people can do it if they try. That's why I suggested they OP buy the right tools, and give it a try. I suspect like me he will be into this hobby for some time, and the tools will pay for themselves.
This is pretty much me to a T. A curios mind that likes to know how things operate and function. In all areas, just like you.

When it comes to revolvers, I think it is part of the hobby and anyone who is really into it should know. Most don't, as can be determined by this thread.

I encourage the OP to learn simple maintenance and repairs on his revolver if he wants to dive further into the hobby. There has been a list of problems shared here with used guns that was discovered after an inspection. I can give my own LONG list. So all of you who are afraid or don't want bothered with tinkering or detailed inspections, I would wager quite a few of your guns have issues, for which you are none the wiser to.

Given this was an LEO trade in, a complete disassembly with deep examination of ALL parts is in order. Back in the day, having a mechanical understanding and even repair capability for all of your possessions was a given. Today, it is pay someone else to do it, I don't have time or want to be bothered.