View Single Post

Old 02-15-2017, 05:38 PM
US Veteran

Liked 5,703 Times in 1,409 Posts

Some of the reason I collect (or more accurately "accumulate") guns and the wife antique furniture/glass ware is seasoned with a healthy dose of nostalgia but not for things we wanted, rather things owned, and used by our parents, grandparents, or people of those "eras".

My interests in Military long guns and handguns came not from my time in the Army in the late 60's, rather from listening and talking to real WWII and Korea vets. They taught me things in my own trade in life as well as taught me my first "Garand thumb" (and afterwards...how to avoid it). My wife has learned the differences of 1930's, 40's handmade North Carolina furniture to machine cranked out big store stuff.

So.....I don't even want an M14 like I carried, but I always look twice at anyone's Garand up for sale, same with Smith's even though one was never "handed down". The wife doesn't look at Christy's or Southbey's for a Louis the whatever parlor table but show her a Mersman 1950 Harp and she's all over it.

Like the other posters..........some of the kids love the guns and will appreciate them, others take it or leave it. I have the book with all details, and the will has the appropriate bequests where desired....the rest.....are just things.

I just remembered.....my wife was bequeathed from her Mom, her Great Grandmothers huge (1.5 Carat) Grade H diamond ring from the 1800's somewhere. The family never had a pile of money and no one ever wrote down any history but that "thing" still sits in our Bank Safe Deposit box, just like it did in my wife's Mom's box at the bank for years and years...so, another "thing" that nobody will sell, but it also hasn't seen the light of day for literally centuries so go figure.

to the OP: a great snag as always
SWCA#3083, SWHF#570
The Following 2 Users Like Post: