View Single Post

Old 02-16-2017, 04:52 AM

Liked 29,150 Times in 13,779 Posts
Default Ok, it's late but.....

...let me throw a few things on here. I was thinking about going to the range tomorrow, but that may be ambitious. The easiest media for me to use instead of gelatin would be milk jugs, which I have and can use, but only once, or twice if the first shot is high.

Bags of sand? Flour? Wet Flour?, Wallboard compound? pillows? What can take several shots at without going to pieces. If I can find paper, and wet it, that would probably be the most stable. I just want to make sure that I retain the bullet and get some number for penetration. Looking at the dum dums I wonder if I should at least drive a nail or something into the top of the bullet to simulate a HP?

I 'prepared' a few HP bullets from the 165 grain plated (see picture) but on weighing found that drilling a HP made the bullets weigh around 153 grains. So I flattened another batch and made 'dum dums' out of them, so the 165 gr weight is retained. I feel I mutilated them more than 'modified' them, but neither my hands or my eyes work as well as they used to. Anyway, I'm going to select a few of these to actually fire into the media.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170216_015114_Burst01.jpg (61.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20170216_021214.jpg (53.2 KB, 19 views)