View Single Post

Old 02-16-2017, 10:30 AM

Liked 88 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB3 View Post
You said you wanted expansion without over penetration. You are using one of the worst performing rounds for those goals.

You've bought into the Hornady marketing hype. Check test results to see that the bullet does not expand adequately (only to .41") after passing through denim and therefore tends to overpenetrate (19") which is through most bad guys.

Well designed modern hollow points do not fail to expand after passing through clothing. They expand just fine, as tests show, much better than HCD. The standardized FBI testing has put bullets through clothing for over 20 years. Most manufacturers that perform poorly in these tests correct their ammo, but not Hornady. Their marketing Fu is strong.
He is SPOT on. I have done extensive ballistic gel testing and I would NOT carry these from Hornady. Critical Duty 135+P over penetrate and barely expand. Federal HST 124 standard pressure for all barrel lengths and Federal HST 147gr for 4.5-5" barrel lengths. I had 2 out of 5 147HST not expand at all when shooting out of G43 and Shield. Not an issue with longer barrels. If you are worried about penetration get a Short barrel .45 and carry HST 230 standard pressure. Penetrates around 11 1/2-12" and opens up to .775-.892" expansion

Last edited by gqllc007; 02-16-2017 at 03:09 PM.