View Single Post

Old 02-16-2017, 11:40 AM

Liked 25,740 Times in 8,697 Posts

One of the problems with modern S&W production employees is that they are now basically "button pushers" and programers. There is less hand fitting, less inspection and less hands on than ever before. Because of this there are less people looking at a particular gun before it lands in the box, less people "feeling responsible" for its QC and less people who really give a hoot.

I have been up at the Factory lately and have seen how the new guns are made - while it does guarantee a greater profit and faster production I do NOT believe it produces a better product because of the fact employees are actually less skilled as gunmakers and more skilled at computer programing. This is exactly why many original features of their Revolver line have been altered.

This phenomenon is NOT limited to the S&W Co. and is being adapted my many manufacturing Co's. to make a product more competitive, faster and at a better profit margin. Don't expect any really high quality products from any Company producing intricate products on automated assembly lines any time soon.

As a side note:

Colt's Factory is far less high tech than S&W's is (antiquated in some respects). They operate on shoe string budgets, produce far less product than S&W does, but I must say that what is coming out of their Factory these days is the best quality I've seen in a long long time!
The Following 2 Users Like Post: