View Single Post

Old 02-16-2017, 03:56 PM

Liked 12,659 Times in 3,372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor996 View Post
If you look at the lucky gunner tests, you'll see that stuff like HST and golden saber have no issues filling with denim, and expand MUCH better than XTP. The plastic tip is just one of many ways to prevent that issue.

I like Hornady as a company a lot, but their carry ammo is ****.
People often confuse the FTX with the XTP and they are designed to do entirely different things.

The FTX has the rubber tip. XTP uses an open hollow point design.

The XTP series of bullets are also designed for controlled and rather moderate expansion to 1.5x their original diameter, rather than the 1.6x or 1.65x diameter of some other rounds.

This lets them penetrate well, even in shorter barrels - but you'll never see the spectacular jagged, spider leg type expansion you see with some others. Instead you'll get a nice mushroom effect.

----

Personally I've carried 124 gr HSTs, 124 gr and 147 gr Golden Sabers and 124 gr XTPs.

I've never felt under gunned with any of them - they will all get the job done with good bullet placement and they will all fail miserably with poor bullet placement.

I'm a firm believer in shooting what you cary on a regular basis to ensure that it continues to function with 100% reliability in your handgun - even after you've carried it a few months. That argues for a round that is commonly available. If you're hoarding a box or two of holy grail ammo that you never actually fire, you're doing yourself a serious disservice even if it is God's gift to terminal ballistics.

I'm also a big believer in shooting practice rounds that have the same weight, velocity and point shape as your carry ammo, and that becomes another factor in finding a *practical* self defense round.

----

If you just can't find a 9mm round that meets all your criteria, just start carrying a K or L frame .357 Mag. It hard to find a .357 Mag hollow point load that isn't a pretty good performer.

Last edited by BB57; 02-16-2017 at 04:02 PM.