View Single Post

Old 02-18-2017, 12:25 AM
US Veteran

Liked 7,273 Times in 1,896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_c View Post
In '67, guys started removing the tips off the 5.56 ammo, as they thought it would act like a hollow point, because they were having to, sometimes, shoot the bad guys, more than once.

All it did, was push part of the lead out of the tip and then accuracy was terrible and if they cut off too much of the tip, it would shoot the lead core through the bullet and the shell of the bullet would hang up in the bore and now the rifle is out of action. This practice was stopped pretty quick by the upper authority.

My first month in country I was the armourer. Among other weapons, there was a Thompson Submachine Gun with 9 - 30 rounds mags. I turned in my M16 and signed out this weapon to myself, after trying it out. When I went to my unit, the first day there, a Major came up to me and told me I had an unauthorized weapon and to turn it in and get a M16 like everyone else. 2 days later, I saw this Major, with my Thompson hanging off his shoulder.
Interesting...I don't doubt that last story for a second. Well known story (probably happened more than once) from Korea where a lieutenant tried to force an enlisted soldier not in his chain of command to "trade" his Thompson for the officer's M1 Carbine...the enlisted man refused, stating "You cannot deprive me of my weapon, sir," or something to that effect. Rank does have its privileges but don't take your shooters' weapons...