View Single Post

Old 02-18-2017, 01:17 AM
US Veteran

Liked 3,823 Times in 2,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro2nd View Post
Again..
""They are looking for a multiple use gun. Something mainly for plinking at the range, maybe home defense, maybe casual gun games but just basic all around use""

no mention of hunting..

from what I read in the description of what the friend ask, I would assume he already has what he prefers for Hunting (if I knew he was a hunter).. Which.. if it were a friend.. I would in fact already know that information, and the fact that he did not specifically ask about hunting with it, I would rule that out as something he "Mainly" wants to use it for, and move that into the not even Likely as something he wants to use it for..

Typically, someone will have something in mind when it comes to purchasing a weapon of any variety.. Be it home defense, S H T F situation, plinking for fun, competition etc..

It shouldn't be difficult to tell what their main intentions/want of use for a particular weapon is, especially f it is a friend..

Anyway, the general description of what "The friend" ask to me, says he is interested in the AR's, but generally speaking, just wants one for casual fun use.. He is obviously not into competition shooting, nor is he likely interested in getting one for a hunting riffle.. He pretty much just wants to jump on the AR band wagon.
So with that in mind, and not knowing if he is even going to like the platform, how it feels yada yada, I would suggest the Sport II in its basic out of the box form., as it should be sufficient for what I would personally feels he wants one for.. again, going by the description of what the friend said..

I would not however, suggest going with anything that cost a penny more, as far as a better stock blah blah.. again, due to not knowing if he is even going to like the general platform to begin with..
The point is that you stated the Sport II "the end"... As if to indicate that there is no other choice for any use... and I don't agree.

If this friend shows you a picture of a free float barrel and says that he wants that, would you push the Sport II? What if he says he wants a red dot and doesn't want to see the front sight tower in the view of the optic? These uses would fit the narrow description of mainly plinking, maybe home defense, maybe games.

Notice, you already said "let them have fun swapping grips, rails, whatever", so you are going to lead your friend into purchasing a rifle with the idea he can change stuff later, rather than showing him the rifle that already has the Magpul forend, or already has a free float barrel, etc.