View Single Post

Old 02-18-2017, 09:27 AM

Liked 79 Times in 36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S. View Post
After WWII, the Japanese, with the help of an American, developed the process of doing away with inspectors by making each person responsible for their work, including the ability to stop production if a problem was found, rather than letting it go through the production system and rely on an inspector to find it and have it corrected. It's why the Japanese were beating the pants off US automakers in the 80's and 90's. Unfortunately for us, the consumers, this practice has been slow to catch on in other products produced in our country, most notably the RV industry, but I digress.

My point is, if you train employees properly and empower them to be able to make decisions, you can do away with inspectors.
This only works when the project enginer,department manager team leader and production employe are on the same page. Throw in a shipping schedule, a team leader wanting the next promotion, managment that will tell you one thing and the supervisors production has to be met or we will be fined if we don't meet scheduled delivery but no fines if the customer rejects the parts for quailtey issues.This is how at least one automotive supplier works that I know of but working in the industr for 40 years seeing what the recall rate is it is not the only one. The customer doing the quailty inspection is a lot cheeper the number of returns is lower that way.