View Single Post

Old 02-18-2017, 01:48 PM

Liked 17,158 Times in 2,907 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post
Here's my Cowboy Cannon, a 5 1/2 inch barreled Colt in 45 Colt. It's not a collector's item as the lettering on the barrel doesn't match the serial number. Also someone in the past prick punched two places on opposite sides of each and every one of the numerous screws. I haven't tried to take it apart. It's got plastic grips and I'm not going to change them. Sure is fun to shoot, though.
If the Rough Riders carried Artillery reconditioned military Colt SAAs, this gun could not be one of them. It has a button cylinder pin release that military Colts didn't have. But that feature came out in 1892 which was six years before the Spanish/American war. So the gun could have existed in 1898. Looks like an original slightly beveled cylinder but with a later barrel. Unless the gun is from the 1930s when the "Colt SAA .45" on the barrel appeared until the end in 1940. The hammer looks like a 2nd generation replacement with those shiny sides. My nickel .44 has a later hammer. Does the knurling on the hammer have a border with the checkering within it? If so, it might be original. Does your barrel have the Colt address on the right side as opposed to the top as usual? 1950s replacement barrels had that odd feature and are very common to encounter. That's a really nice Colt SA. I like the round bottom trigger guard. Later and sometimes earlier guns had a more flat bottom. Trivial maybe, but I like it.

Last edited by Wyatt Burp; 02-18-2017 at 01:53 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: