View Single Post

Old 02-18-2017, 06:30 PM

Liked 29,238 Times in 13,822 Posts
Default I've got data! Range Report.....

Sorry I've been out of touch but my internet was down for the fourth time in four months. The cable to my house keeps getting cut up or chewed by something.

Ok, I'm going to post this in sections and I have pictures, too.

Ballistcs test/Range report concerning "How to make a 9mm act like a .45".

Last night I looked to find who carried newsprint that I could wet and shoot through. On the way to Boggy Head Rifle Range (50 min. drive) I stopped by Office Depot to pick up some newsprint. Like everything else, you have to order it. So I asked the girl for the cheapest paper they had and got a box of copy paper for $30, which was more than I was hoping to spend but it was all set up and had a friend with me and I wanted to get some testing done. Weather conditions were PERFECT. Clear and sunny.

I had my chrono (karma from a member here) and using a Kel Tec P11 (3.1" barrel, the shortest I had), began shootng. Let me reiterate. These bullest were 29 brin. and I didn't expect to get much expansion out of them, even with my "jhp modifications", Range was between 10 and 15', a little closer than usual because I wanted my shots to be good with the Kel Tek, which is much harder to shoot as distance is increased.
Velocity Testing (fps):

First string with 3.5 grains powder 737, 716, 724
Second string with 3.7 grains powder 754, 756, 745
Third Stting with 3.9 grains of powder 786, 751, 753
Fourth String with 4.1 grains of powder Fail, 819, 827
Fifth String with 4.3 grains of powder 799, 817, 813

The target velocity wasn't reached with this load, but it close enough that by tweaking the load and using a longer barreled gun I think the goal is attainabled. With the flattened noses Accurate #7 may be able to used.

I had some problems in shooting the strings. I had a series of light strikes, some of which looked like they should have fired. I've never run into that problem with the Kel tec before, but of course when I NEED it to work..... Anyway, some of the test ammo I made was ruined but I'll try them later in a different gun to determine the problem. Also, the I loaded them to a max OAL of 1.155" when the maximum OAL for the 9mm Luger is 1.169". So I had some feeding problems. (Geez). But I did succeed in get the velocity testing done.

More to come.......

Last edited by rwsmith; 02-18-2017 at 06:34 PM.