View Single Post

Old 02-18-2017, 06:54 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 16,154 Times in 7,408 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNK971 View Post
Yes, some differences, and some similarities. Handguns were not appropriate for the mission of the teams where I was assigned.

Not sure what's meant here. Not appropriate, or just not allowed?

If you mean that you might see infantry combat and need rifles, a sidearm wouldn't make having a rifle any less appropriate. I think some AF dog handlers have had both, as did members assigned to LE and general base security duties.

In current photos, I see pics of AF security personnel assigned to protecting aircraft inc. AF ! to assist Secret Service agents, to patrol and SWAT assignments packing both Beretta M-9's and various shoulder-fired arms, usually the M-4 carbine.

I'm speaking here of actual USAF personnel, not civlian contract cops that some bases employ. I've never seen pics of them with other than handguns. Can't tell the make or model, and it no doubt varies with the base and the contract police firm.

I've also seen uniformed men and cars labeled US Navy Police. Doesn't the Navy still have Shore Patrol and Marine MP units? I saw one Navy guy with a badge, so I guess he's some kind of military cop. He was working a gate at a base where I stopped to ask directions. Neither of us seemed to have time for talking, so I couldn't ask questions. I've also seen a photo of an AF cop and some Navy equivalent. They were working a gate, probably on some joint service base.

When the Muslim officer went ape at Ft. Hood some years back and shot a bunch of unarmed personnel, it was a female contract police officer who captured him, not MP's. I think this worthy is still in prison, although he was sentenced to death many months ago. Anyone have any info on that case?

Last edited by Texas Star; 02-18-2017 at 07:14 PM.