View Single Post

Old 02-18-2017, 08:19 PM

Liked 8,854 Times in 3,533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qc Pistolero View Post
...those polysterene trays they use to pack almost everything in(mostly meat),if grounded in a paper shredder,would it be a usefull filler?Anybody has ever tried it?
Qc
What you refer to is Polyethylene foam, not Polystyrene. Yes, it has been tried. As a matter of fact shredded poly foam is available commercially as a cartridge filler under more than one brand name. This is not a new idea.

Cream of Wheat cereal and corn meal both work well too, and are cheap! Just don't use corn meal in bottle-necked cartridges unless you are fire-forming to expand the case neck to a larger caliber.** Please believe this! I came very close to destroying a Model 71-84 Mauser many years ago by using corn meal as a filler.

** I have, as an extreme case, fire-formed 7mm Rem Mag cases to .458 Winchester Magnum using corn meal, and had very low losses due to split necks! If you believe most people on the forum they will insist this cannot be done without 100% case loss from split necks! Well it simply isn't true! Why? I needed .458 Winchester brass and had lots of pick-up 7mm Rem Mag cases, (free!). All I would be out is a primer, some Unique and cheap corn meal if it didn't work!