View Single Post

Old 02-19-2017, 05:55 AM

Liked 5,259 Times in 1,732 Posts
Default A Different Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt Burp View Post
If the Rough Riders carried Artillery reconditioned military Colt SAAs, this gun could not be one of them. It has a button cylinder pin release that military Colts didn't have. But that feature came out in 1892 which was six years before the Spanish/American war. So the gun could have existed in 1898. Looks like an original slightly beveled cylinder but with a later barrel. Unless the gun is from the 1930s when the "Colt SAA .45" on the barrel appeared until the end in 1940. The hammer looks like a 2nd generation replacement with those shiny sides. My nickel .44 has a later hammer. Does the knurling on the hammer have a border with the checkering within it? If so, it might be original. Does your barrel have the Colt address on the right side as opposed to the top as usual? 1950s replacement barrels had that odd feature and are very common to encounter. That's a really nice Colt SA. I like the round bottom trigger guard. Later and sometimes earlier guns had a more flat bottom. Trivial maybe, but I like it.
Wyatt: You know far more about Colt SAAs than I ever will or ever care too, but remember back in the days of the "Rough Riders" many of the officers and maybe even some of the EMs furnished their own choice of personal weapons. But, when afield, the available armorer kept everyone's weapons tuned and ready for field action. Perhaps Cyrano's Colt SAA had been a personal handgun, but received this tactical tuning from the Rough Rider's armorers. It bears checking out. ..............
The Following 2 Users Like Post: