View Single Post

Old 02-19-2017, 10:32 PM

Liked 7,748 Times in 2,127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyphil View Post
And here, on the left, is one of those mentioned.
A Lewis with cylinder pockets,that came before Bianchi's model.

And the Hoyt that Red mentioned in photo 2, 3, & 4.
Bearing in mind that THE Hoyt was a forward draw vs. the crossdraw that Phil is showing; but fair enough since I mentioned the crossdraw Lewis, Clark, and Bucheimer holsters because of their cylinder pockets.

The first 2800s had stamped metal cups, covered with a thin moulded leather against the pistol; then John had the rather excellent idea of converting that set (another was stamped into the rear metal stiffener for the belt loop) to a plastic injection moulded part with a wide flange that was stitched through when the pocket was stitched 'round.

Don't think it was ever successfully copied by another maker. Figuring out how we clipped that spring together on the inside would've done anyone's head in! Though I saw a pic of an A.E. Nelson for the auto that suggests that they may have had a go at it.

The Judge's weakness was rear assaults, something that we didn't resolve as well as Hoyt and Nelson did with theirs (their weakness was side grabs, though). Heck, I reckon even Safety Speed (a simpler approach still with a U spring) and old Tex Shoemaker (every complex, more like the Hoyt spring -- but harder!) dealt with that better than we did. Turns out that muzzle drag in the 27 and 27K at least had the benefit of trapping the muzzle and preventing rear takeaways. Then we discovered that takeaways were being taught in U.S. prisons and went an entirely different direction, with the Hurricane #350.

Last edited by rednichols; 02-19-2017 at 10:39 PM.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: