Thread: Model 63
View Single Post

Old 02-19-2017, 10:49 PM

Liked 556 Times in 139 Posts

Just to share: The model 63 is the Last Gun I would sell. This "COULD" also apply to model 34's, 43's, etc.........because in my hand, this is the perfect "woods gun," plinker, fishing carry gun, etc. that I can actually hit something with. With 6 model 63's, 2 model 43's, 6 model 34's, and 2 model 317's in the stable, it would take a while to whittle down to "just one," and that would be a 4" model 63 because of the stainless finish. These are words from a "Kit Gun" freak. There are plenty of model 17's, 18's, and 617's in the stable. Those models get more target time. The 63 gets more holster time and doubles to shoot marshmellows and punch holes in paper at 25 yards.

There are a lot of Smith wheelguns in the stash, but the 63 could dispatch a nasty coppernoggin, provide food if in a survival situation, yet take the center out of a target at 20 yards.

Further, I just invested in a pair of Ruger SP-101's: a .22 and a .357. Yes, they are tough as a tank, but comparing the .22 SP-101 with a Smith 63.......... no comparison!! The Ruger trigger is terrible. The Ruger sights wiggle and wobble and won't hold firm. Even the hammer does not have the same feel and my thumb will not grip it was well as a 63. The Ruger just does not have the feel of the Smith.....................

As for a model 63 with 4-inch barrel............ how much does an extra inch matter when the piece is still small enough to tuck in a waist band and can actually hit something when used in a steady hand? Get the older 63. I have one in each of two vehicles (along with bigger medicine if needed) and carry one on the hip in the National Forests. First two rounds are "rat shot" and the next four are hollow points. A speed loader can get one back into shooting quickly if you don't like the newer and not as aesthetically pleasing 8-shot versions.

2 Cents............. Get an older 63, 4-inch, 6-shot. Yes, they are hovering around $900 but I just found another one for $775, 98%, and in the box. This used 63 was $200 more than the "new" SP-101 I just bought and, to me, worth every penny.

Y'all be good, Bo

Last edited by BoCash; 02-19-2017 at 11:20 PM.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: