Thread: Pulling bullets
View Single Post

Old 02-20-2017, 03:44 PM

Liked 658 Times in 186 Posts
Default Pulling bullets

I was given a thousand rounds of hand loaded 45 Colt ammo. Loaded by someone I do not know, but who works for an ammunition supply place.

The info label typewritten on outside of box indicates that is a 250 gr bullet over 9 gr Blue dot with CCI300 large pistol primer. Also typewritten is "estimated 700 FPS"

Took a hundred of these out and ran them through my Taurus .454 casull. The first 40 sounded like .22's with no recoil. The next 60 gradually worked their way up to a more potent load, but still well under .454 loadings.

I have NO confidence in this ammo and would like to pull bullets to use free primers and casing and load them to my specs.

Issue is the first loaded crimped the lead bullets into the case, I have pounded the inertia hammer into the wood and have not be able to move the bullets. I have a Hornady cam lock bullet puller in .45 and it wont budge them either.

1. Any ideas of how to remove bullets?
2. Is there enough case volume in a .45 colt to get a double charge of blue dot?

I see 17 grains of Blue Dot over a 250 grain bullet to get 1,150 in .454 Casull, so maybe I am being over cautious.