View Single Post

Old 02-20-2017, 05:39 PM

Liked 29,158 Times in 13,784 Posts
Default But....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest r View Post
Trying to get a 9mm to shoot 160gr+ bullets is nothing more than turning a 9mm into a 38spl. Add to that the short bbl will never let you get to the promised land.

You need to read/study what others have tested, done and use as a minimum for short bbl'd bullet/sd combo's.

@@@ I've only seen really scant data/reading on the 165 gr 9mm. I'm sure there's more out there.

You will find that in short bbl'd firearms 2 different things keep coming up.
1. 1000fps or better
2. if under 1000fps the bullet needs to be over 200gr & 900fps+

@@@ I know that I can't actually equal a .45, just getting a 9mm to act like one. Your are right in that I never read that a bullet under 200 grains going 900 ft/sec is inadequate, I've seen more that field evidence shows the .38 special to be inadequate. I haven't read much of anything about the heaviest 9mms. You got me there. I guess what you end up with is a .38 special that can shoot 10-15 rounds/mag which has to be some improvement. At least over the .38 special.

The 800fps/160gr tests you've done are typical of a snub nosed 38spl and the results you are getting are also in line with that bullet/velocity combo.

@@@ Well, a lot of people carry snubs and shorter barrel 9mms so the short barrel in most carry guns is what I'm looking for. I could have used my full size Third Gen to test the rounds, but I'm considering what most people carry. Small guns. But, you know, I think this is the best argument against my 'theory' that I've heard yet.

You need look at more than just expansion. Heck you could take a pure lead bullet and drill a huge hp in it and shoot it out of your short bbl'd 9mm @ 600fps and get a 1/2"+ hp. Probably get only 2"/3" of penetration but you'll get your larger than .452" bullet.

@@@ But that wouldn't make the min. penetration requirement of 12" that I set early on. I haven't forgotten about penetration. I've said all along that a properly constructed bullet would need to be used. They make Gold Dot bullets in 135 gr. short barrel that are designed to expand at snub velocities. I'm thinking that a 160 gr version could be made. Even a decently hard HPSWC with the HP and the hardness tuned would do well I believe.
This brings up a new question. Why can't a 9mm with a nearly 3" barrel operating at 35,000 psi outperform a nearly 2" snub revolver with a cylinder gap operating at 20,000 psi with similar bullets? That just don't parse right.....

I THINK that the load data that I have for the 165 gr in the 9mm MAY be lower pressure than allowed. I'm not going to find out since I have no pressure equipment. But if anybody wants to chime in....

Last edited by rwsmith; 02-20-2017 at 05:41 PM.